the holidays with your companion animal can bring
plenty of joy. With all the bustle, activity and
changes around your home, your companion may be
confused and stressed. For others, these changes
bring new opportunities for exploration and mischief!
Here are some holiday
tips to keep your companions safe:
Beware of holiday
decorations and plants that could be swallowed
by your animal. Ornaments, tinsel, ribbon and
hooks can cause serious digestive problems for
your animal and may require hospitalization
or corrective surgery. Some holiday plants and
berries are poisonous and can prove fatal, if
ingested. Keep decorations and plants out of
reach of prowling cats and inquisitive pups.
There are shocking
consequences to animals chewing on electrical
wires and cords. Keep them tucked under furniture
or taped down to prevent this problem.
Provide a quiet
spot in the house for your animal where she
can retreat from the noise, activities and crowds.
Spend time with her during the holidays so she
knows she is not forgotten.
Keep burning candles
out of animals’ reach and be sure to snuff
them out when you leave the room. Candles should
not be burned in rooms with birds as the fumes
can damage their respiratory tract.
Give your companion
animal gifts that are properly sized and the
correct type for your animal. Also, steer clear
of toys with glued on pieces that can be harmful