Friday, November 6, 2009
For Immediate Release
Media Contact: Angela Speed
Phone: (414) 431-6104
Puppy Gets Second Chance at Life
Prevent Accidents with Important Holiday Safety Tips for Companion Animals
MILWAUKEE - When Miley first arrived at the Wisconsin Humane Society, she was lethargic and in grave danger. The 6-month-old Yellow Labrador Retriever had eaten something that lodged in her digestive system. The mystery object was obstructing her intestinal track, causing her terrible pain and an inability to ingest food or water.
Dr. Jane Pohlman and Dr. Nancy Weiss immediately decided that surgery was the only way to quickly remove the obstruction and save Miley’s life. During the surgery, incisions were made in Miley’s stomach and intestines; the veterinarians found rubber bands, twigs, grass and leaves, the source of the pain and dangerous situation.
Miley’s prognosis looks bright, but her story is a lesson for all dog guardians. Obstructions caused by foreign objects are too common, and often fatal. The holiday season offers more temptations for curious puppies, daring kittens and dogs intrigued by the glimmer of tinsel and aroma of tasty treats. The Wisconsin Humane Society reminds all guardians to follow these tips to keep companion animals safe:
• Keep holiday treats out of reach. Chocolate, chicken bones and skin, grapes, onions, macadamia nuts, candies and bread dough are especially dangerous. Xylitol, a sugar substitute found in gum, candy and toothpaste, can be fatal.
• Your cat may see your holiday tree as new territory to explore… and conquer. Avoid glass ornaments, tinsel and low-hanging decorations.
• Don’t allow electrical cords to dangle or run loosely across the floor. Keep all of them safely taped down and unplug them when you are away from home.
• Tinsel, string, ribbon and yarn will all be seen as delightful toys, especially to your animals. Keep these things out of reach. They can cause serious internal damage if swallowed.
• Don’t place holiday candles within reach of Fido. The pretty flame can be an enticement and candles can easily be knocked over.
• Be aware that some popular holiday plants can be toxic if ingested. These include, but are not limited to, holly, mistletoe, azalea, hibiscus, amaryllis and Christmas rose. The jury is still out on poinsettias, but it is advised to keep them out of reach.
# # #
Note: Dr. Nancy Weiss with the Wisconsin Humane Society will be available for media interviews on Friday, November 5 from 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. with Miley the Dog. To schedule an interview, contact Angela Speed at (414) 431-6104.