Pets for Life Volunteer Opportunities
Pets for Life is a program developed by the Humane Society of the United States that focuses on underserved areas with limited access to pet care resources, building relationships and providing critical animal care services. WHS’s program serves people and animals in Milwaukee’s 53206 zip code through door-to-door outreach and community events. Families in this community face many barriers to accessing important services for the animals they love. Our Pets for Life outreach team builds trust and relationships with community members, makes information and resources accessible, and establishes a consistent presence in the neighborhood, improving quality of life for both people and animals.
Volunteers work with our outreach staff in our focus community to build relationships and access to pet care information and resources like spay/neuter and vaccines.
There are three positions available. Volunteers can be involved with one, two, or all volunteer roles based on skills, interest and availability.
Pets for Life Street Team
The commitment for this position is at least one four-hour shift per month for a minimum of six months. Outreach opportunities will generally be available Tuesday through Friday afternoons.
- Work with outreach staff and volunteers to build positive relationships though door-to-door outreach
- Share materials and answer community members' questions about spay and neuter, vaccinations and pet wellness care
- Promote upcoming Pets for Life resources to the community
Pets for Life Community Outreach Events
The commitment for this position is two Saturday events per year. Shifts are generally six hours. There may be additional volunteer needs, including flyer distribution, leading up to the event.
- Assist clients through the event process, including distributing and filling out paperwork, managing the line, distributing information, and ensuring people and their pets are comfortable
- Answer community member’s questions about animal care and resources provided by the Wisconsin Humane Society and the Pets for Life program
- Assist in details and promotion leading up to the event as needed
- Help set up and tear down event materials and supplies
Pets for Life Animal Transport Volunteer
The commitment for this position is at least two two-hour shifts per month for a minimum of three months. Transport opportunities will generally be available two weekday evenings per week. View full details by clicking here.
- Provide transportation for Pets for Life program clients’ animals to and from their spay/neuter appointment.
- Safely load and unload animals by following WHS protocols
- Communicate with clients and provide excellent customer service
- Ensure completion of all required paperwork by pet owner and submit completed forms to program staff
- Reliably and appropriately communicate with Pets for Life program staff
We ask that all volunteers, regardless of their backgrounds, have an open mind and positive attitude. This position can sometimes be emotionally distressing as team members will see animals and people in less-than-ideal situations. This program is not designed to remove animals from homes but rather build relationships and promote animal care and wellness. Team members need to possess strong communication skills and the ability to work with and without direct supervision and use good judgment. Team members will often be outdoors in the Pets for Life targeted community; this position requires standing and walking for long periods of time. Training for the position is required and will be provided.
If any of these volunteer positions interest you, please fill out a Pets for Life volunteer application.